Karen Bonanno, National Director
Career history and my ‘Why?
I began my career as a teacher (1979) and quickly progressed through the school education system into various leadership positions. I was always looking for the next challenge; the next opportunity.
By the time I was in my mid-30’s I had worked my way up to be in a central office of the state department of education and found myself in a job I really didn’t enjoy. My responsibility was to supervise the roll-out of opening school library collections for new schools across the state, establish self-funding systems for central office services, manage a team of over 200 school-based reviewers of learning resources, and develop links with school networks. Now, some folk may have found this absolutely exciting, stimulating, productive, and so on. For me, I felt trapped and stifled. Figuratively speaking, I felt as if I had one arm tied behind my back and one foot nailed to the floor. If I knew then, what I know now, about being in Flow, I may have made some different decisions.
Back then, I ended up resigning and established an education consultancy service in 1994 that has continued to evolve in response to the ever-changing needs of K-12 teachers and educators. In 2012, I also established Eduwebinar, an online professional learning network delivering professional learning to teachers in the comfort of their own home. I absolutely love what I’m doing and how I’m able to contribute to the development of teachers’ and educators’ skills and capabilities to make a difference in young people’s lives.
So, what has changed?
In 2015, I was introduced to Wealth Dynamics and Talent Dynamics through the work of Roger James Hamilton, the creator of these programs. I definitely had an ‘ah ha’ moment as I began to understand that when I am working with my natural talent (primary energy frequency) I am in Flow (path of least resistance). I feel energised, productive, engaged, time just flies by … totally playing full on! When I’m not, I’m stressed, anxious, overwhelmed, frustrated, sleep deprived …. I think you get the picture.
I took action and completed the accreditation for Flow Consultant in Wealth Dynamics and Talent Dynamics in May 2015. Then, in October 2015 I stepped up again and completed the accreditation for Flow Consultant in Talent Dynamics for Young People. My passion for working with young leaders inspired me to step up and undertake the learning to achieve accreditation for Performance Consultant in Talent Dynamics for Young People and an Advanced Youth Coach in October 2016. In June 2017 I completed my accreditation as a global Ignition! Coach; an amazing mentoring program for young people (and adults who are young at heart). I had the opportunity to ‘give back’ to the initial Genius School education movement in November 2017 and subsequently stepped up to undertake the accreditation & training in August 2018. I’m now a part of the Genius School as a global Genius Educator / Leader. The journey continues.
If you can relate to my story (or even parts of it), then I would be delighted to work with you so you too can get into Flow and tap into your natural talent and energies. I integrate Talent Dynamics and Talent Dynamics for Young People into the continuing professional learning programs for teachers, educators and school communities.
Why? Because I strongly believe that great teachers are those who continually engage in developing their professional capacity to be effective and dynamic educators who can make a difference in student learning, achievement and success. Also, our children are our future leaders and it is important for them to have the opportunity to discover what they are good at, what are the best roles for them in life, how they can contribute and play their part, and develop skills to apply to school, home and life.
- Global Genius Educator / Leader (Genius School, August 2018)
- Ignition! Coach (June 2017 – May 2023)
- Certificate IV in Small Business Management (2017)
- Performance Consultant in Talent Dynamics for Young People (October 2016)
- Advanced Youth Coach (October 2016)
- Flow Consultant in Talent Dynamics for Young People (2015)
- Flow Consultant in Talent Dynamics and Wealth Dynamics (2015)
- Master of Applied Science (Teacher Librarianship) With Distinction (2005)
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training (2000)
- Certificate III in Competency Assessment (1999)
- Certificate of Attainment in Performance Psychology – Personal & Professional Development (1999)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming Level 1 (1999)
- Graduate Diploma in Teacher Librarianship (1987)
- Bachelor of Arts – Humanities (1979)
- Graduate Diploma in Teaching (1978)
- Learning Commons Visionary – 2012 – awarded by the editors of Teacher Librarian: the Journal for School Library Professionals.
- Exponential Entrepreneur of the Year 2011
- Capra Ryan Australian Teacher Librarianship Prize – 2005 – Charles Sturt University for the student with the highest grade point average in the Master of Applied Science (Teacher Librarianship) Course
- Australian School Library Association Citation Award – 2001 – national biennial award to commend and give recognition of services to teacher librarianship
- IASL/SIRS Commendation Award – 1997 – international award for projects for the CD-ROM, Teaching Information Skills, as the Project Officer on behalf of the Australian School Library Association